Proposal: DEV x Radicle integration

DEV x Radicle Integration Proposal

What is Radicle

Radicle is a p2p GitHub-like platform without a central server that is fully integrated with Git and Ethereum.

Radicle uses a desktop called Upstream, here’s the screenshot of how it looks like:

Proposal

I think it would be dope if DEV protocol integrated with Radicle because both of these projects are in the same field - open source development. In GitHub, there’s a feature called “GitHub Sponsors” where you can donate to any user to support their work:

Radicle part

I think that Radicle could have something similar, a button with “Sponsor” functionality where you can stake some DEV.

Here’s a rough sketch of how it could look like:

And the sponsor menu:

Maybe also it would make sense to have a separate tab for a repo to all your sponsors inside Radicle.

DEV part

On the DEV side, would be cool to have a new input field during tokenization step where you can link your Radicle repository as an extra / alternative option to a GitHub repo, e.g. this:

This was my initial idea, maybe something else could be added to that.

3 Likes

I really like this idea. The reason why I encouraged you to write this post here is because there is great potential in a collaboration like this, since both Dev and Radicle complete one another in their mission to decentralize OSS.

I could see this benefiting both ecosystems!

1 Like

I like this idea! It’s specially interesting because it kind of removes a little bit of the information asymmetry and the mitigates the steep knowledge barrier required to onboard and understand the current crypto market.

Creators that have their projects on radicle would be more interested and knowledgeable about crypto than the average OSS creator.

1 Like

I agree with your last point. People using radicle are already comfortable with cryptocurrency and blockchain technology, two concepts that seem to be amiss when it comes to traditional programmers in the donate-me-a-coffee OSS scene.

This is a win-win for both projects.

Awesome! Looks good to me :+1: