Can Blockchain Monetize Social and Environmental Impact?

Introduction

For the past three days I’ve been participating on the ClimateLaunchpad boot camp on Angola, Africa. I’ve been invited by a friend to be his co-founder on that boot camp and help him on the process.

Of course projects like Dev Protocol are funding public good that are not properly monetized or their social impact value isn’t directly translated into financial values. Open Source Software Creators are a great example of that, a lot huge companies, worth billions are built on top of Open Source projects that struggle financially.

While participating on that local boot camp competition and seeing so many good projects that can really change society, and at the same time are struggling financially, instead of looking at the problems they were trying to solve, I kept thinking about how can we use blockchain to solve some of the problems these projects were facing themselves.

I came up with some ideas, about the project I’m representing specifically, after brainstorming the past few days. So, this article is not only a way to share my ideas but to gather some feedback so I can try to push this project forward.

One thing that I like about trying to solve this problem is that Angola is one of the most closed countries in the world, with the financial system shut off from the rest of the world, with a high inflation currency that is available on the unofficial market at different prices. So if we can try to make this work there, it can work anywhere in the world.

Quintal Orgânico

The Project that I’m helping and representing on this challenge is called Quintal Orgânico (Organic Backyard). A side project from Moose, an Angolan architect that started a natural fertilizer project using organic waste from a power plant the he worked in, on Soyo-Zaire, Angola.

With the successful experience he had on that power plant, he decided to create Quintal Orgânico on an urban lot in Luanda, the capital city with a metropolitan population of 8.3 million. He saw a city that had terrible waste management, no infrastructure to collect and separate waste, with a significant part of the population that resorted to either burn their waste or throw it out on the streets.

The solution that Moose came up with was to separate the organic waste and use it to feed free range chickens, this way the grain consumption was reduced significantly, this way he is able to produce organic eggs, meat and the byproduct is an excellent fertilizer made of chicken droppings.

The main idea is to make this system completely sustainable, with all the waste being consumed by chickens while food and fertilizer can produced anywhere, the project layout on the lot iterates constantly, the current solution that maximized productivity looks like this. His idea is to make everything Open Source, that could be reproduced anywhere in the world.

The products are currently sold to individuals, small restaurants that are conscious about separating their waste and exchange frozen organic waste for eggs. At a small scale this works just fine, but when trying to scale it up the projects is facing some problems.

Problems

The project is facing some bottlenecks on different areas some of which it doesn’t have any control over. First, it reached a point where it needs to scale up to be sustainable and to scale up it needs more resources.

It already has 2 urban lots, a small one (above), and a 10.000 squared meter lot where the project can be expanded to. The problem is, since most of the families income is low and organic eggs aren’t as cheap as non-organic eggs, they can’t afford to see the health, social and environmental value of consuming the projects’ eggs. The current revenue isn’t enough to cover all costs and the project can’t afford to buy the necessary equipment to expand.

The expansion the the second lot (above) would mean that it could scale up and the marginal cost of an egg would decrease a lot, more organic waste could be piled up and the goal is feed the chickens organic waste only, plant organic crops and use the fertilizer on that system.

Since local individuals and business can’t see or can’t afford to value the social and environmental impact of this project I thought that maybe using social blockchain technologies as a way to fund through individuals that can afford and see these impacts, it could help push through the bottleneck and scale it.

Blockchain Solution

As previously mentioned, the main idea of the project is to be able to be recreated anywhere in urban lots, in a decentralized manner. It is hard to compete with huge industrialized solutions that can scale, so I kept thinking if it was possible to financially decentralize this as well, maybe tokenizing the project, being open for anyone to use.

I immediately thought of Dev Protocol, the problems this project is facing is very close to the problems that OSS Creators face. So I thought that a dapp like stakes.social, with the same functionality, but for green business would be something that would solve all those issues.

Individuals that have an environmental consciousness and want to help green business to grow and scale, could stake on the project, sustainably funding it through staking. This way individuals all over the world that have that consciousness could make these kind of business viable in places where the population can’t afford to.

Green tokens for that project could then be minted, and be used in that system, negotiated with local governments to be treated as some sort of green bonds, bought by local companies to pay for services or to reduce taxation for example, and finally, be used by other local business/projects that want to take advantage of all that infrastructure that will be already in place and open for everyone.

But then I thought, this is a long term idea, since I don’t know how would this project be able to be tokenized, how would the Khaos Oracle authenticate this? The project is still small and doesn’t have any kind of programmers with strong solidity skills to make this viable short term as well.

Another idea I had was to keep the project going and write about it on HiDE, discuss about the developments, the problems it faces everyday and somehow gather donations from individuals that see value in that project to help it grow. HiDE even has an option to NFT articles, so maybe this could be useful as well!

Of course, all of this can be done at the same time, and I’m also thinking of new alternative ways to fund Quintal Orgânico with blockchain. If you have any ideas I’d love to hear from you!

1 Like

I think Blockchain will take over all of the places, yeah blockchain has a big impact and can change society. It will be cool if we value this green project, help poultry farms.

I think this message also good for this topic:
Do you remember donating $$$ for planting trees? Many people donating and willing to help the green project.

YouTuber MrBeast’s Tree-Planting Campaign Hits $20 Million Goal Early (click to read) - He did this when he reached 20million subscribers on YouTube.

This is a good project @aggre! Let’s help the environment!

If you launch this, we need a great, eye-catchy, good video that catches the heart of the people to successfully promote this project.

I’ll be back at this topic very soon! to give you an idea.

1 Like